My photo card license has expired can I still rent a car?

My photo card license has expired can I still rent a car?

Recently we received an enquiry from a client who’s driving photo card licence is expired and he wanted to hire a car.
This was the actual question: “My photo card license has expired can I still rent a car?”

Many ex-pats are returning home specially during the cold season, for spending their holidays or for longer periods of time. Abroad there is no way to change your out of date British photo card licence.

If you want to hire a car, normally most of the car rental companies in the UK won’t be able to help you with that.
Before the counterpart was abolished, there were more companies who were able to help on this matter, but since the old system was changed it became more and more difficult.

Luckily, our car hire experts have dealt with this before and managed to come to an agreement with some of our suppliers on this matter and made this type of deals possible.
So our answer is: Yes! Here at Indigo Car Hire, you will be able to hire a car in UK even if your driving licence photo card is expired.

However there are few things you should bear in mind:

bullet This deal isn’t available countrywide, but only in few main locations across the country.
See bellow few of the locations where you can hire a car with an expired photo card driving licence. To find out if it’s available also in your location, give us a phone call and discuss with our reservation agents.

bullet You will need to be able to provide a DVLA share code, and as long as your driving licence is clean, we can arrange the car hire for you.
In case you dont know how to proceed in order to obtain the share code on the DVLA website.

For more information about Car Hire in UK with an expired photo card license, please contact us over the phone on +44 (0)113 880 0748 or via email on