IS A PASSORT REALLY NECESSARY?

Some of the most common problems when hiring a car are related to having the correct identification. This is place to ask any questions related to this.

Moderator: BogdanO

Rob Gillespie

IS A PASSORT REALLY NECESSARY?

Postby Rob Gillespie » 07 May 2014, 04:05

Hi everyone, can you answer this query i just got through?

Just checked the details of my booking with you and noticed that it states that for purposes of identification I would need to show a passport, however I do not have a passport. Will this mean that I have to cancel the booking?

Matt Carter

Re: IS A PASSORT REALLY NECESSARY?

Postby Matt Carter » 07 May 2014, 04:05

Hey Rob,
Yep stumbled upon an interesting one here, ID when renting a car can be a little bit of a minefield, in the UK they have started been quite strict on what ID is required from UK residents, you are required to prove your address, but quite often an address check will be performed upon pick up, if the drivers is not actually registered as living at the address (not on the electrol role) like I say little bit of a minefield, but for sure each and every person whom books with us is made aware of what they need upon arrival to ensure they collect their hire car without a hitch.

Re this specific question I can only assume this is for a visitor to the UK, as if collecting the vehicle as a UK resident you only require both parts of your license and a proof/s of address.

If arriving from overseas you are required to present both parts of your drivers license (if a UK license) or your full license (for example full EU / US / AU) in some cases suppliers will require to see the hirers return flights details, so again can be a little tricky if you are on a one way ticket, which some people are for a variety of reason, and none of these reasons are to steal a hire car :-)

Whilst not 100% sure about the initial inquiry, I figure this is from someone whom is flying in from a EU member state, who does not have a passport, just a European ID card, and in this case the advice the best way to look at it is ‘If it is good enough for UK passport control, it is good enough for a car rental company’

If we can package this information up in the form of a blog it would no doubt service as useful information for people.

Many Thanks,

Matt.

Rob Gillespie

Postby Rob Gillespie » 07 May 2014, 04:06

Cheers Matt, probably worth putting a blog together on this, ill get one live and let you know

Matt Carter

Postby Matt Carter » 07 May 2014, 04:07

Hi Rob
Yes this is indeed a very interesting subject as ID requirements can be the one downfall when renting a vehicle.
I think you have really covered all the bases there Matt, you definitely know your stuff!!

The one thing i would add is that particular suppliers, like Sixt for example do demand a passport for collection of the vehicle along with the driving licence and payment card, whether you are flying in or if you are a domestic client. Of course as Matt mentioned sometimes you will not have a Passport provided to you in your country – maybe something like a ID card is presented instead, which in most cases is fine for use as identification.

One piece of advice i would give is to always speak with the reservations team directly to ensure that if you have any doubts surrounding your identification then our helpful team can make sure that you do not have any calamities upon collection of your rental car. Also you can find some more useful information by clicking the following link: http://indigocarhire.co.uk/frequently-a ... -car-hire/

I hope this information helps. :)

Of course if you would like any more explanations or details about ID then fire away!

Many Thanks

Rob Gillespie

Postby Rob Gillespie » 07 May 2014, 04:08

hi guys, the blog in now live- hopefully this helps clear any confusion up.

http://indigocarhire.co.uk/blog/car-hir ... necessary/

Matt Carter

Postby Matt Carter » 07 May 2014, 04:08

Remember RG knowledge is power :-)

Return to “Identification”