Aged 18 and need a car in Germany? We can help! :)

This is the place to ask questions about if you are concerned that your age may be a problem when trying to hire a car.

Moderator: BogdanO

Rob Selby

Aged 18 and need a car in Germany? We can help! :)

Postby Rob Selby » 04 Jul 2014, 13:30

had an interesting query today, had a client who was looking to hire a vehicle from Hamburg Airport but they were only 18 years old!

They were explaining to me how they have spend lots of time searching around all of the rental companies to try and find someone who can offer them a car with them being under 21. This is something of a rarity to be quite honest as most rental companies restrict the drivers age to 21 and over, so you can understand why this client was having such difficulties!

Well luckily for this client, we did do a bit of research and we have managed to find an option which can offer car hire to drivers aged 18 and over across the whole of Germany!

Now with all rental companies you will find that even for drivers over 21 that they will be subject to a young driver fee, with this option the young driver fee is charged @ 11.90 Euros per day on top of the rental cost. Now if you are having a rental for two weeks for example, this can prove to be very costly indeed, however again this supplier offers a cap on the young driver fee at 10 days so even if you have the car for 10 days or 28 days the most you will pay for the young driver fee will be 119.00 Euros.

This is quite a little gem and certainly very useful for all you younger drivers looking to hire a vehicle in Germany! :)

Indigo Ann-Marie

Re: Aged 18 and need a car in Germany? We can help! :)

Postby Indigo Ann-Marie » 04 Jul 2014, 13:43

Hi Rob,

If you're 18 how long do you need to have held your full license for to hire in Germany please?

Thanks!

Cherie Walker

Postby Cherie Walker » 04 Jul 2014, 13:48

Very interesting as we all know hiring a car when you are 18 years old is very tricky, sure we will have a lot of happy 18 years old when they see this!!

Cherie :-)

Rob Selby

Postby Rob Selby » 04 Jul 2014, 13:53

I agree Cherie, I do think that this will be very useful for a lot of younger drivers.

Ann Marie, I can confirm that the minimum driving experience require would be over 12 months with a full clean licence.

If you need any further information please feel free to ask. :)

Return to “Age Restrictions”